SSB GROUP DISCUSSION (GD)
CONDUCT OF THE GROUP DISCUSSION:-
• The GTO will conduct two GD’s, one after the other, with a very small time gap between the two. Both GD’s will be of 15-20 minutes.
• The GTO will give two GD topics for the first GD but candidates have to decide within one minute, the topic which they would like to discuss.
• While choosing the topic, the candidates must decide the topic based on its relevance to them and also on the currency of the topic.
• The second topic is decided by the GTO himself, based on the performance of the group.
• Both topics are common in nature and do not require any specific knowledge, facts and figures.
• The topics are given in a descriptive form and list out four options; a candidate has to discuss the option that he/she finds more apt as compared to the other options.
• All options are workable. The candidate has to express as to which amongst all options is better as compared to the others.
• The fourth option is ANY OTHER, the candidate need NOT be stuck with the three
provided options, he is at liberty to proceed with any viable option coming to his/her mind.
SOME TYPICAL GD TOPICS
1. Social Networking sites like facebook ,
twitter, email, and messaging are becoming popular among the youth as
they are means of fast communication. What in your opinion is the major
consequence of this revolution.
· It provides more and effective power to the youth.
· It has increased threat to the National security and peace
· The youth waste valuable time on networking
· Any other option
2. India is fast emerging as an international
player both in economic and military fields. In order to play a more
effective role India should develop better contacts with:
· Developed countries
· Developing countries
· Neighboring countries
· Any other country you dream fit
3. India facing energy crises which affects
adversely our industrial growth economy. If you were to advise the
Prime- Minister, which of the following sources of energy will you
recommended for greater priority:
· Hydel Power
· Nuclear Power
· Renewable sources of Power
· Any other
4. Man is the most enterprising being on
Earth. He has even engaged himself in improving his lot from early ages.
What according to you has been his greatest discovery/invention:
· Any other
Additional GD Topics
(2) Nuclear reactors in our nation.
(3) Is it good to quit nuclear reactors in our country like Germany.
(4) Alternative source of energy other than nuclear reactor.
(5) Nuclear agreement with U.S.
(6) Nuclear agreement with Russia.
(7) Does Nuclear head of Pakistan a threat to the nation.
(8) World Peace
(9) Pros and Cons of Science.
(10) Increase in technology increases life span of man’s life.
(11) Compulsory Army training.
(12) 33% reservation for women.
(13) Youth in politics.
(14) Unemployment in Bharat.
(15) Alternative source of fuel.
(16) Role of press in Bharat.
(17) Permanent seat in UNO for our nation.
(18) Permanent seat in G8 for our country.
(19) Bharat the super power by Defence or Agriculture.
(20) Bharat in Space Research.
(21) Success rate of wind power and solar energy for power.
(22) Computer and its Pros and Cons.
(23) Internet and its Pros and Cons.
(24) T-20 cricket changes the cricket style.
(25) Which is best Test match of T-20.
(26) Importance of Sex Education.
(27) Common syllabus for School in our nation.
(28) Common Entrance test.
(29) Ragging in college good or bad.
(30) Wearing helmet on road.
(31) Should we improve defence technology or not.
(32) Who saves nation more Police or Army.
(33) BPO jobs in our country.
(34) Love marriage or Arranged marriage.
(35) Co-Education in nation.
(36) Number one state in Bharat- The Gujarat.
(37) Removing of Alcoholism is a revenue loss for our country.
(38) Government bars in states of our nation is good or bad.
(39) Population of the country.
(40) Child growth is influenced by friends, teachers and parents?
(41) Joining of Rivers in our nation.
(42) Construction of check dams to save river water is successful?
(43) Inflation Rate of economy in Bharat.
(44) Quota system in our nation.
(45) Kashmir issue and LOC.
(47) Role of Communication in our country.
(48) Sports in Bharat.
(49) Hockey the national game.
(50) Domination of cricket over hockey.
The GTO looks for the following in the candidates Personality:-
• Communication Skills.
• Listening to the group members point of view.
• Leadership and Coordination with the group members.
• Expressing oneself truthfully and logically in the group.
• Depth of Knowledge on the given topic.
• Sharing of knowledge with the group members and willingness to
• Running the group along the given point.
The most important thing in the G.D is effective
communication. To be an active member of the group, candidate should be
able to put his point of view before the group and should make the
group agree to his/her views as far as possible. For this a candidate’s
communication skills should be effective to be able to influence the
Effective communication results in getting the
attention of the group members. If you communicate well, then your point
will be given weightage and everyone will discuss around your point. So
you become the centre of attraction. After the group seems to conclude
about your previous point, try to give a new point and do not keep
harping on one thing.
Make the G.D. as GD and don’t turn it into a debate. don’t always
comment negatively about others point, even though it is wrong, overcome
that negative aspect with a positive point. Of view It leaves a
better impression on the GTO. After giving your point, just listen to
the group member who is speaking and if you get a change in that give a
point supporting your previous point. (merging your previous point and
the current point presented by the group member) you are at liberty to
While someone else is presenting his/her view, we can always find methods to interject by using some phrases like:
• Excuse me gentlemen, I have something to say
• Excuse me gentlemen, I agree with your point but want to add one
• I agree with your point, but there is another way of looking at it.
• Excuse me , My solution for this issue is (while two members are
debating try to give a solution, this gives you a credit. Since the real
leader is one who finds the solution to the problem).
Listening to the group members point of view:-
The candidate should be accommodative to ideas expressed by others.
One should not be rigid about ones ideas own. One can be assertive but
only up to a point, adjusting to new ideas and people in an unfamiliar
environment is an important quality. Your adaptability will come to
light if you keep above in mind.
A good leader should also be a good listener. It always pays to be
receptive to others point of view as well. It is not the volume but the
contents of what a candidate speaks that matters. One should speak
sufficiently and not be too verbose. By listening to others you will:-
• Be able relax and put your mind to fresh points.
• Be able to pick up hints and add more points by either supporting,
corroborating or opposing others point of view.
• Be able to work out essence of others points and may be able to give a
• When you listen to others, others listen to you.
Leadership and Coordination with the group members:-
The ability of a person to be able to generate a following and leave
a mark of ones presence on the group, the skill of being able to
convince other members about ones convictions and then being able to
motivate them to become a contributor to the group, a good leader will
be able to coordinate the thought process of the group in to a
In G.D. leadership quality is analysed by the G.T.O. by noticing the:-
• Initiator of the group,
• Listener of the group,
• Person helping the weak member to talk,
• Supporting the good point of other group members.
• Ability to analyse and prioritise the good point from other members
of the group
• Explaining others point by giving his/her own example,
• Ablility to overcome equally competent candidate(s) with his/her depth
of knowledge and communication skills.
Expressing Oneself Truthfully and Logically in the group:-
Capability of a candidate to defend ones position and being able to
hold onto ones conviction becomes essential but it should not be at the
cost of being adamant. If the candidate is truthful he will also have
conviction which will be visible to others. Logical means correctly
understanding the topic and presenting a balanced point of view. Logical
person takes objective view of both sides of a point before arriving at
a conclusion. A logical person will also not get carried away by
emotions in a discussion.
Depth of Knowledge on the given topic:-
In a GD the quality of what you speak matters. To be a good
participant in GD we should have a sound knowledge of the given topic.
Seeing various discussions on national news channels specially in
English and reading editorials in national dailies will help improve
your depth of knowledge .
Academic knowledge is a requirement. What is more important is the
ability to utilise this factual knowledge in a manner in which the
candidate shows his/her analytical approach to a topic. His /her ability
to see through in the essence of the topic through the maze of
information and the effective intelligence to use the knowledge in
carrying the group along. Is what matters.
Sharing of knowledge with the group members and willingness to learn: - The candidate has to share his knowledge and experience with other
members of the group during the discussion. The GD is not meant to see
the ability of the candidate to somehow convince everyone on his point
of view. What is seen is his ability to carry the group along by sharing
and enhancing knowledge and also in the process showing the ability to
learn from other candidates.So that the GD is a process of mutual growth
and not about individual ideas being thrown around.
INITIATION IN GROUP DISCUSSION:-
There are several techniques in the initiation of group discussion. These are
• Defining the topic .
• Interrogatory opening
• Starting with hot issues
• Using phrases or quotes
(1) DEFINING THE TOPIC:-
This is very basic initiation technique followed by most of the
persons in G.D. i.e. if the topic is given the G.T.O is about “India’s
Space Programme”, then the candidate may start the discussion by
explaining to the group that space programme of India would involve
talking about the Launch vehicles and the Satallite Programmes
seperately. So he is defining the topic by giving the direction in
which the team members need to go to build up the point and discuss.
(2) INTERROGATORY TYPE TECHNIQUE:-
This is very interesting technique followed by some candidates in
G.D. i.e. asking interrogatory type things such as what, when, who, how
like question about the given topic. This technique has the disadvantage
of throwing away the initiative to someone else. The actual point comes
from others and not the initiator .However, it at least gives an
opening to the candidate to speak.
Example for Good Initialisation in Interrogatory type:-
Let we take the topic “NUCLEAR REACTOR IN INDIA”, in this topic if
the candidate starts the discussion with why India wants a nuclear
reactor rather than choosing a alternative source for power? After
telling this he should be able to support his point by giving positive
points such as, what was happened in Japan due to nuclear reactor. (Like
this even though the starting seems to be negative he finishes the
topic by giving a strong positive point, i.e he gives importance to the
people of Bharat rather than power production, Also he is not leaving
about power production, he also gave in his point to find an alternative
solution). So this is a good initialisation.
Example for Bad Initialisation in Interrogatory type:-
Let we take the topic “NUCLEAR REACTOR IN BHARAT”, in this topic if
the candidate starts the discussion with. “What happened in Japan? A
large amount of life loss and devastation. So Nuclear Reactor should be
abolished from Bharat and should be close”. This is also the same
question type initialisation but the thing is he didn’t gave a
supportive positive to his question type initialisation and also the
starting seems to be negative. So avoid this type of initialisation.
These are the pros and cons of the interrogatory initialisation technique.
Starting with hot issues and sailing over that technique:-
This is an interesting technique, giving a hot topic and social
welfare topic such that every one will get little more interest to
discuss about this.For example:
If the given topic is about“Preservation of wild
life in India” The candidate could start the topic by Bringing out the
HOT Issue of Some VIP’s currently involved in the killing of
someendangered/protected species of animal and then progressing his
point of view. This will invite everyones attention to the candidate and
also his point of view.The candidate should guard against taking the
issue too much on the negetive side .
Important tips for Group Discussion:-
• First listen to the G.T.O. keenly and try to grab the essence of what
GTO is reading out.
• If you have knowledge about the topic and good effective
communication then start the discussion.
Else be patient and wait for the sequential chances summarize your
point in your mind then trigger it into the discussion. Why I am saying
is if you are weak in communication and get stammered in the
initialisation, it may give a bad impression.
• Keep proper eye contact with the group members who is talking and
don’t ever look to the G.T.O.
• Have a depth knowledge in basic topics and national issues as it be easy
for you cross the group discussion like a cake walk.
• Don’t ever make a debate in the discussion by joining hands as two or
three person with in the group itself, then all will lose all your chances
of getting selected.
• To be best read news papers, see discussion at national news channels
also discuss with your class mates, friends in English to avoid
stammering and to get flow of points in mind even in pressure.
No of comments [ 0 ]